Man chokes to death on meal at Somerset pub

Tragic dish: Gordon Isaacs choked on a meal at the Star Inn, Watchet, in Somerset (image credit: Barbara Cook)

A man has died after choking during a family meal, despite the pub staff performing CPR on him, an inquest has heard. 

Gordon Isaacs was eating a meal at the Star Inn, in Watchet, in Somerset, on Saturday 29 July when he began to choke on his food, according to Somerset Live.

The coroner’s office confirmed that pub staff were very helpful with CPR, according to Mr Isaccs’ next of kin.

The 74-year-old was taken to hospital at 10.15am on 29 July, but died at 9.50pm on Sunday 30 July.

Accidental death

Senior Somerset coroner Tony Williams, sitting at Taunton earlier this week (Wednesday 9 August) recorded a verdict of accidental death, stating that Mr Isaacs choked on food, resulting in cardiac arrest.

The Morning Advertiser tried to contact the Star Inn for comment, but had not received a response at the time of going to press.

Meanwhile last year, a woman choked to death eating a lobster in a Herefordshire pub.

Gagging on food

The Mirror reported that Carolyn Parsons gave her family a thumbs up to show she was enjoying the meal at the Bridge Inn in Michaelchurch, in Escley, before gagging on the food and turning blue.

Herefordshire county coroner Mark Bricknell recorded a verdict that Ms Parsons died of choking due to food getting stuck in her airway.

Earlier this year, a regular at a Devon pub choked to death on pickled eggs after betting £5 he could eat four of them in one minute.

David Mitchell, 66, collapsed at the White Hart Inn, Bridestowe, in Devon, after allegedly refusing to spit out the pickled eggs, according to the Exeter Express & Echo.

Legal experts Poppleston Allen partner Graeme Cushion said the incident highlighted the need for operators to maintain their duties under health and safety legislation in regards to the welfare of their customers at all times.

Related News

Tragic dish: Gordon Isaacs choked on a meal at the Star Inn, Watchet, in Somerset (image credit: Barbara Cook)

Man chokes to death on meal at Somerset pub

Tragic: customer died after an alleged eating bet (Photo: Chris Walts via Flickr)

Pub regular chokes to death on pickled eggs

Tragic dish: Gordon Isaacs choked on a meal at the Star Inn, Watchet, in Somerset (image credit: Barbara Cook)

Man chokes to death on meal at Somerset pub

Gas leak death: Carlsberg's Northampton brewery (Google Street View)

Carlsberg investigates death after factory gas leak

Reopening: the Farringdon club was shut for a number of weeks but will be openings its doors again soon

Fabric says ‘there is no safe way to take drugs’ following drug death inquest

Fabric: slammed as a "safe haven" for drug users

Fabric “could re-open” after drug-deaths closure

Food poisoning: tragic death was 'wholly avoidable'

Woman dies of food poisoning after eating at Cornwall pub

Related Products

See more related products